Hiking is famous worldwide for its health and leisure benefits. With its rich natural wonders and wonderful scenery, Australia is a great place to venture into a hiking adventure. Australians use the term bushwalking for both on and off trail hiking and they have a number of hiking trails that have been marked for easier and safer hikes.
When you go on a hiking trip in Australia, it is important to know the essential things you need to bring with you. Here are some of them:
- Backpack: Bring a lightweight and functional backpack. It should be able to store water, food, extra clothing and other basic necessities.
- Shoes: Use shoes that are sturdy enough to handle uneven terrains when hiking. Choose cross-trainers that provide ankle-support and lightweight. You need to find comfortable shoes to avoid blisters and chafing.
- Clothing: Wear clothing made out of high tech fibers that sends moisture into the air and are warm and light. Examples of this are micro fleece, spandex, microfiber, etc.
- Socks: Wear socks that are the right fit. The material used in the socks should keep moisture away. You can also bring extra socks so you can change anytime during the hike.
- Hat: If you should wear a hat, choose those wide-brimmed hats to protect your skin from damage and keeps you cooler.
- Sunscreen: Apply sunscreen every time you go on a hike regardless of the weather. It not only protects you from the sun, it also protects you from high altitudes.
- Snacks: Bring food that are light but can fill you such as nutrition bars, dried fruits or nuts. Avoid heavy food as it will make hiking uncomfortable.
- Always bring your mobile phone.
- Always bring a first aid kit so you can be prepared for any accidents.
- Bring a map so you will not get lost.
- Bring 1-3 water bottles (or depending on how much you think you will need) to make sure you won’t get dehydrated.